Town & Gown
Cover and Recipes
Recipes included chocolate and peppermint cheesecake cupcakes, peppermint meringue cookies, and gingerbread candy cane latte.
Sample recipe below. Click here for the e-dition of this magazine.
Gingerbread Candy Cane Latte
Gingerbread Candy Cane Simple Syrup:
• 1 1/2 cups water
• 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
• 1 candy cane, broken into pieces
• 2 tablespoons molasses
• 1 inch fresh gingerroot, thinly sliced ( or 1 tablespoon ground ginger)
• 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
• 8 whole cloves
• 1/2 teaspoon allspice
• 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
• 8 ounces strong brewed coffee
• 1 cup milk
• Gingerbread candy cane simple syrup, to taste
• Whipped cream and crushed candy canes, optional
For the simple syrup:
Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 20 minutes or at least until the candy is melted. Strain liquid, discarding any solids.
For the latte:
In a small saucepan, heat milk just until heated through.
Froth milk with a frother or pour milk into blender. Vent the lid and frappe just until foamy.
Pour coffee into two mugs.
Stir 1/2 cup milk into each mug.
Add simple syrup to each mug to taste.